There are many content management systems (CMS) out there such as Symphony, WordPress, Joomla and Drupal. Some of these CMS are free and open-source and some are proprietary. These CMS are quite different from each other base on their user interface and features but some of them also have common functionalities and features.
Although there are plenty of CMS out there, this article will focus on the award-winning CMS which is no other than Joomla. It is said that Joomla already powers approximately 2.7% of the largest websites in the world (well, that is according to Joomla Evaluator’s Documentation which I have read while I was doing my research). When you try to browse websites online, you might observe that Joomla is used to create websites of different kinds. Example sites powered by Joomla are Royal Gorge Anglers (www.royalgorgeanglers.com), Energy Asia (www.energyasia.com) and our very own site – Geek Inc. (www.geekinc.ca).
- Joomla is free and open source software – this is one of the reasons that make Joomla great. It is absolutely available to everyone because it doesn’t cost you a penny and you can download the source code and have unrestricted rights on the software itself. You can run it, study it, modify it, distribute it and even improve it.
- Joomla is highly customizable – with Joomla, you can easily customize or manage the header of the website, logo, footer, images and other contents of your website.
- Joomla is extensible – you can easily add components, plug-ins, templates and modules with Joomla and since Joomla is open-source, you can alter the source code to suit your individual requirements. Moreover, there are numerous Joomla extensions that you can download which allows you to enhance the capabilities of your website.
- Joomla has an online forum and a growing community of users and developers – when you use Joomla, you will be assured that there is support even in the future because there are plenty of users and developers. The online forum allows you to easily post discussions, feedbacks and problems about the software so if you need help with something, just interact with other users through the forum and you will be able to obtain assistance from them.
- Joomla is easy to use – Joomla is user-friendly and it has a nice interface so this means that you can quickly build websites for your clients using Joomla.
- Joomla has great templates available for free download.
- Joomla is easy to install and set-up even if you are not an advance user of this CMS or you are an inexperienced user of any other CMS.
- Joomla can help you make SEO friendly websites.
- Joomla is said to have a very powerful application framework which makes it easy for developers to create add-ons to suit their needs.
- Joomla is based on PHP and MySQL which are all open source – this would mean low development cost on your side because you do not have to pay for the software products that you use on creating your websites.
This article has just presented the 10 good reasons to use Joomla. I admit that there are plenty of CMS that I haven’t explored yet but hopefully, I’ll be able to examine more CMS in the future and be able to provide a comparison of the different CMS that I use. For now, whenever I need to quickly build a website, I will just have to use Joomla which I rely most of the time.